Analysis and Probability Standard for
Formulate questions that can be addressed with data
and collect, organize, and display relevant data to
• design investigations to address a question and consider how data-collection
methods affect the nature of the data set;
• collect data using observations, surveys, and experiments;
• represent data using tables and graphs such as line plots, bar graphs,
and line graphs;
• recognize the differences in representing categorical and numerical data.
and use appropriate statistical methods
to analyze data
• describe the shape and important features of a set of data and compare
related data sets, with an emphasis on how the data are distributed;
• use measures of center, focusing on the median, and understand what each
does and does not indicate about the data set;
• compare different representations of the same data and evaluate how well
each representation shows important aspects of the data.
and evaluate inferences and predictions
that are based on data
• propose and justify conclusions and predictions that are based on data
and design studies to further investigate the conclusions or predictions.