study the life cycles of a mealworm, frog, and butterfly through
observation and research. In this activity
images from the
Web or digital camera will be used to create postcards depicting
various stages of the life cycle.
3. Have students arrange their group of postcards in the order of
the life cycle.
4. Students discuss the questions on each card in their group.
5. Each student will then write answers on the back of the postcard.
6. Send the postcards to another classroom in the school or to another
Gathering Images and Creating the Postcards
To find images
for creating the postcards go to the search engine Google. Click
on the Image tab and type in the search box the
name of the image you need such as frogs, mealworms, or butterflies.
The images may be inserted into a Word document or postcards
be created in Publisher and printed on card stock.
Post Cards in Microsoft Publisher
• Open Publisher by clicking the start button at the lower left hand
corner of the screen.
• Scroll to Programs
• Select Microsoft Publisher
Suggestions for Other Grade Levels:
is a list of possible ideas for each grade level based on the standards
taught in the elementary grades.
• Grade K: Provide images of different kinds of local plants and animals.
Have students match the animals to the habitat.
• Grade One: Provide images of environments and different foods. Have
students match the food from the environment from which it comes.
• Grade Two: Provide images of plants and animals and have students
list similarities and differences.
• Grade Three: Provide students with images of chrysalis, cocoon, caterpillars,
butterflies, eggs, tadpoles, frogs, mealworms, and beetles. Have
them arrange the postcards in the life cycle and label each cycle.
• Grade Four: Provide images of seeds and see if students can match
them to the grown plant
• Grade Five: Provide images of the food chain and have students arrange
to demonstrate the food chain.