On the page where Henry is drawing the blueprints for his cabin
he is holding a pencil. What does the pencil say? Why does it
2. Was Henry left handed or right handed? What clues do you
have to discover this?
3. Name the animals that are around Henry as he draws his blueprints.
4. There is a blue jay in the illustrations. What parallel is
there between the blue jay and Henry?
5. Name the different kinds of animals you find in Henry Builds
a Cabin? How many different kinds of animals do you see? What
are the animals doing?
6. What do you notice about the two scarecrows that Henry places
in his garden?
7. Why do you suppose that D.B. Johnson has a turtle in the
final page of the story?
8. What furniture does Henry place in his cabin? What other
items did he bring to his cabin?
9. Why do you think Henry wrote the items in his journal sitting
on his green desk?
10. How is time depicted in this story?
11. What do you see in the pond near Henrys cabin?
12. How does the artist depict that it is raining? Try the technique
in your art work.
13. Do you know why the author shows Henry carrying a flute
on his grand stairway down to the pond? LINK
14. What does Henry say about the number of chairs he has in
15. Henry uses a number of tools in building his cabin. What
are the names of the tools and how is he using them in the book?
16. What kind of wood does Henry use to construct his cabin?
17. Where does he get his wood?
18. When did Henry move into his cabin?
19. Where in the story do we learn how large Henrys cabin
20. Henry is drawing his blueprints in his journal on the first
page of the story. Where else is the house drawn?